SOCIAL CONNECT

Wednesday 25 January 2017

CHRON BURGUNDY SPEAKS ABOUT NEW RAP CITY, SOUNDS INTENSE AND TITUS TRACK.


Baamogetswe: Peace, God.. I've Been following your music for a very long  time, but for the purpose of the followers can you just give a brief description of your upbringing, where you from and where you grew up..

Chron Burgundy: First off... Shout out to U, Big Spook!! Appreciate the effort of this interview, I know it's been a long time coming. To answer the first question... I'm born & raised in J-Sec (Joburg). Moved around a lot in this city, been on all fronts from North, East, West and now South. Growing up with a single mom, you tend to move around a lot. I guess this is related to financial issues, but when you young, that's something you not really up on yet.

Baamogetswe: Can you tell us a little about what made you fall in love with the culture, what did you see or hear that made you decide, yo "i wanna be a rapper".

Chron Burgundy: Man, I kinda fell in love with Hip-Hop in Primary School. I got put onto Hip-Hop through my homie, Karabo. It all started on the basketball courts, I used to shoot hoops and that's how I basically got in the culture. Met homie at the  courts and he put me on. It was only really in High School when I wanted to start rapping, purely based off a random freestyle I did haha. People's reaction to me spitting, was an eye opener. Like, yo, I'm nice!! Also the freestyle sessions at Le Club were another eye opener. I was this random kid ripping the spot a couple of times there... Doing the Le Club thing was really my drive, but being in school with a mom who lived on a tight budget, it wasn't easy to get studio time or even beats for that matter. So, it was a long writing and freestyling period in my life. Just learning the craft, you know?


Baamogetswe: You've been rocking for as long as i can remember, you were part of a group called "Sounds Intense", tell us a little about that, are you still together and if so can we look forward to another Sounds Intense EP?


Chron Burgundy: Sounds Intense is still my team... That's the crew; TitusTrack is the label (Indie). Sounds Intense was a bigger crew when we put out the project in 2010, but we have down scaled to just Zero, Uni-VERSE and myself. We still working closely as a collective, whether it be for gigs or to feature on our projects. The 3 of us have dropped solo projects, but we about to form like Voltron again for another Sounds Intense project. The first project is still dear to my heart, as that project put us on the map. Frequent gigs, radio play on National stations? And, we weren't signed or even had a manager. We did everything ourselves, literally haha.


Baamogetswe: You featured on Pronoia’s "Drop 16" which was pretty dope yo, who put that together, how did you link with Pronoia?


Chron Burgundy: Pronoia is owned by Ant... I've known Ant for years. Like, I knew Ant as a rapper before I knew he was this fire designer. Dudes gifted with all things visual. So I just been building with Ant, and he hit me up a few times to get on their compilation tapes. Pronoia is about helping promote dope artists, giving them a platform. Give thanks, because that's how I heard Johnny Filter's beat which I took and rapped over. Shot a little vid for it. Song still gets mad love, too. 


Baamogetswe Maboa: Yo, you got a project with Huck Finn that's about to drop soon called "New Rap City", can  you enlighten us a little about the features, Producers, and also when the release date is.


Chron Burgundy: Man, New Rap City is something that was an idea for me personally... It initially meant to be another mixtape, I was gonna do solo. But, OB-1 had hit me up right before I started putting in work. OB sent me some beats that just suited the entire feel & concept. So the project is produced by OB-1, except for the bonus track produced by Lenin. His beat was too fresh for us to leave out, so we slapped it on as a bonus. Features we kept it light... Zero,  Nic Blaze and Delite. It's a short project so we didn't wanna over crowd it. Release date, before mid-2017. We just are waiting to drop the first video, even though we have dropped 3 audio singles already. The video will serve as the last single before the EP drops.


Baamogetswe: Don't know if the followers are aware of this but your former name is Foul Play, What influenced the name change?


Chron Burgundy: Growth... I grew out of that persona. Foul-Play was me just tryna prove I could rap. I was not thinking about making music, and growing as an artist. I just wanted to be the best rapper, and not a great artist. We grow, and I needed an alias that would represent me in a lot of ways. Foul-Play will always be a part of me, it's the side of my rapping that is unfucwitable. I can still rap circles around anybody ouchere haha. I just do it with more style since the moniker change... Even when I changed the name, I referred to myself as Play on the "Play By  The Rules" tape.


Baamogetswe: TitusTrack is the Stable Correct? Who are the other rappers associated and where can we find their material, is there anything in particular to look out for?


Chron Burgundy: TitusTrack is the label we on... We indie and do everything ourselves. Right now it's only Zero, Uni-VERSE and I. We all have projects out, just check the TitusTrack Entertainment Facebook page for links. There's a lot to look out for, we stay working... I drop more frequent than the family, but their work is always quality and they will drop unexpected dope shit, at random times, so just stay up on our social networks. We ouchere...

Baamogetswe: You've had international features on previous projects; Think with "Easy Money" and "Only-One" from (Sand People) just to name a few, who else would you like to work with in the future internationally?

Chron Burgundy: Yeah, on Timeless I worked with Ed Rock aka Ea$y Money (ST da Squad) and Only-One (Sand people)... I'm re-releasing that song on my next solo EP. People still hit me up for that song! Internationally there are way too many cats to mention, but I definitely wanna do work with Daniel Son out in Canada. He's probably my favorite emcee at the moment, considering he does everything I love in a dope emcee. However, I'm open to still comment with other cats purely based on being a fan... But, I'm not out here to try ride on anyone's wave, so I try work on a lot of my own material. But yeah, Daniel Son is definitely somebody I wanna work with in the near future. Probably add Sean Rosati, Al Divino & Prodigy of Mobb Deep to the list (that's more of a dream feature haha).

Baamogetswe: Your doing quite a few shows and stage appearances, give us a quick rundown of where we can catch you rocking on stage?

Chron Burgundy: Right now, I don't have any gigs lined up... It's something I haven't been focusing on. I'm still settling into the new year, tryna wrap up these EP's and release some new music. 2016 we had a lot of gigs, and I'm sure the build up will come again. I have a gig Manager who hits me up when gigs are available, but she handles a lot of other artists as well so she's mad busy tryna keep everyone on stage. S/O to Chandre @ Platinum Management. Stay tuned to my website though, I keep a regular update of what's popping on there - www.chronburgundy.com

Baamogetswe: What can we expect from Chron Burgundy in the future and please, in one word describe your sound..
Chron Burgundy: A lot of music... Be it videos, projects, features, gigs... I'm still building, all the time.
 My sound in one word?  Authentic...

No comments:

Post a Comment