SOCIAL CONNECT

Thursday 23 March 2017

POUNDS SPEAKS ABOUT GROWING UP IN ROCHESTER, HEAVY LIES THE CROWN AND UP AND COMING ALBUM T.U.N.A


Baamogetswe: Peace God what’s Good??

Pounds: What's good G


Baamogetswe: Yo for the purpose of my followers and your fans can you tell us a little about where you’re from and your upbringing?


Pounds: I'm from Rochester, NY which is upstate NY about 5 hours from NYC. Because you know, automatically when you tell someone you from NY, they assume one of the 5 boroughs. But yeah I grew up in the system; group homes, in and out of jail, parents weren't really around etc. 


Baamogetswe: How was it like growing up in that environment and did it play a major role in your love for the culture? 


Pounds: Honestly, growing up that way isn't any place for a child; I guess the way things played out for me it was meant to be that way so I wouldn't change anything as of now. It definitely played a huge role since music was kind of a place I went during rough times and being that I had a lot of anger, the music soothed my pain in a way. 


Baamogetswe: What is it that you heard or saw that made you decide you want to pursue Hip-Hop as a career? What is it that made you decide, yo fuck it "i want to be a rapper"


Pounds: I actually didn't start rapping till about 21. I was always around the rappers and one day just thought I could do that shit. 


Baamogetswe: Before we go any further fam, mad shouts for that joint you did with Conway, the visuals are sick, bars on point it’s just generally a dope collaboration, who put that together? 


Pounds: Well you know Conway and Westside Gunn had been doing their thing for a minute, and we are in that same lane with the music plus Buffalo is only like 45 minutes from Rochester, So it was only right we put some classic material together. 


Baamogetswe: For some reason I’ve always pictured your rocking on Daringer Beats, your voice matches his grimey kicks and snares, have you guys ever thought of doing a project together?


Pounds: Like I said we're in that same lane musically and when I was putting Heavy Lies the Crown together it just made the most sense to have them be a part of it. I got both Conway and Westside Gunn on that one, And yeah Daringer and I got a couple joints ready for these upcoming releases. 


Baamogetswe: You got an album out currently titled “Heavy Lies the Crown” correct? Can you tell us a little about the project, Who you got on production, any special features we need to look out for, for all the cats who havnt bumped the project yet??


Pounds: I dropped that back in October and have been working and dropping visuals from it. My producers Spittzwell and Fith took the majority of the project as usual then I got myself on a few, Von Dutch Da Nightmare, Max Marciano, Flick James. Feature wise like I said I got Conway, Westside Gunn, Jarren Benton, Chris Rivers, Aleon Craft, I. Am. Tru. Starr. 


Baamogetswe: Are you currently signed to any record label or have you been pushing the product on an independent  platform and if so, what’s that like cause I’ve realized that an Independent artists grind is slightly harder than cats with deals


Pounds: No, no label. Straight indie. And yeah it is going to be a lot tougher without that label support behind you. But I feel it helps to be indie when it comes to building relationships and rapports with the right people. May take a little longer but it's definitely more organic that way. 


Baamogetswe: When you started this, did you at any point think that your music would touch cats as far as South Africa? 


Pounds: Not in a million years G. Not where I'm coming from. It's an incredible feeling. 


Baamogetswe  Im sure your fully booked and got shows all over the globe but for those cats in and around your area where can they catch Pounds rocking on stage?


Pounds: Besides A3C you'll probably catch me with the homie Jarren Benton on some upcoming shows this spring/summer. 


Baamogetswe Any plans on touring any African Countries? Can we expect to see you live on stage in the future?


Pounds: Hopefully, if passport permits Haha 


Baamogetswe Beside the TUNA Project what else are you working on in 2017, is there anything specific we need to look out for and for those who have missed out on your previous projects where can they find your material?


Pounds: Don’t want to get into the upcoming projects besides TUNA, which will be dropping very soon. But I got a lot of work coming my G. You can check my previous work at www.POUNDS.bandcamp.com 


Baamogetswe: Would you like to give any shout outs? Are there any cats you would like to big up from all over the Globe?


Pounds: Just thank you to anyone that rocks with my shit. I appreciate the fuck outta that! 


Baamogetswe: in one word, how would you describe your sound??


Pounds: I can't even do that haha. Grimey, gritty, painful... 

No comments:

Post a Comment